National University of Juridical Sciences(NUJS) is starting the second batch of its 1-year diploma course on Entrepreneurship Administration and Business Laws in collaboration with iPleaders, a legal education company focusing on making the legal education accessible to entrepreneurs, managers, decision makers, working professionals and law students.
What does it take to become a good business lawyer?
In order to do well as a business lawyer, various skillsets are required of a lawyer, in addition to a basic theoretical understanding, as represented by the chart below:
What is taught in the course?
The course is conducted online, and aims to bridge the gap between academia and practice of law. The course focuses on practical aspects of business law, such as structuring businesses, taking investment into a company, trademark and patent registrations, managing and monetizing IP, open-source licensing, legal aspects of import-export transactions, drafting important business contracts, how to supply products and services to the government and much more (interested students can view the detailed course syllabus here).
The course faculty includes practicing lawyers from some of the best Indian law firms, legal advisors to companies and senior government officers.
Enrollment for the second batch is now open. The course fee is INR 20,000/-, and interested students can enroll by paying the first installment of INR 10,000/-. The course starts on January 30. From February 1, the first installment will be increased to INR 11,000/-.
Fee waiver for economically weak students
NUJS has also announced full fee waiver for first five students belonging to the below poverty line (BPL) category. This will be provided on a first corne first served basis.
What are the features of the course?
- This is a course that bridges the gap between the legal industry and academia – learn the practical aspects of law
- Location neutral – Learn business law through an online learning management system
- Learn at your own pace and chosen time, devote 3-4 hours per week
- Study material consists of interactive videos, text basedmaterial, templates, checklists, mind-maps, drafting exercises and self-assessment tests
- Faculty/ contributors consist of lawyers from top law firms, practising advocates, entrepreneurs, judges and bureaucrats
- Live online doubt-clearing and discussion sessions with faculty and experts
- Live session in select cities (attendance optional – video recordings are made available)
- Online examinations and viva voce
- Grading system to distinguish high performers
- No prior knowledge of law or business management is required
- Recruitment and internship assistance (for candidates interested in working with startups and new businesses)
What kind of law students is the course intended for?
The course is intended for law students who wish to:
- Work in a law firm as an associate or in a large company as in-house counsel
- Serve their own clients as self-employed business lawyers
- Work for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- Students interested in litigation will find these skills valuable as clients often approach litigators for commercial consultancy work.
How can the course help a law student or a young lawyer?
- The course will prepare you for a career in a law firm, as an in-house legal counsel or even as a litigator. The transition from being a student to a lawyer can be quite difficult – the course can make it easier for you.
- In this course, you will learn about the practical aspect of business laws – commercial intent, key clauses in commercial agreements, ways to negotiate specific clauses, practice through drafting exercises, key filings, registrations and compliance requirements – which is usually learnt only after spending significant time and experience at work, and is rarely taught in a systematic manner.
- This course can help you excel in your internships – while others will struggle to learn new things, you’ll know exactly what the advocates/ law firm associates want from you, as you will be able to grasp the ‘big picture’ behind a commercial transaction very easily.
- You will be able to impress recruiters with your superior knowledge of business laws and practical understanding of transactions.
- Your confidence in your own legal skills will drastically improve. You will be able to assist and provide consultation to those in need of legal inputs with respect to their business (note that this course does not qualify you to practice law). You can use checklists and templates provided in the course as a useful starting point for real-life legal work.
- Your academic performance with respect to commercial law subjects in law school/college will drastically improve.
Law students from all of the NLUs and many other law colleges, as well as practicing lawyers have signed up for the first batch of the course. Please take a look at their reactions to know more about the course over here.
Look at the batch composition for the first year:
For more information, visit the course website here (a free sample chapter and video are also available for download on the website).